Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Accidental Resolutions

It has been a while since I posted.  The holidays and other things have kept me away from writing.  I am planning on posting regularly from now on.

I have been thinking a lot in the last month about resolutions, not only New Year’s resolutions but resolutions in general.  People make New Year’s resolutions because it is easy to remember when you started and because they want better things for themselves for the next year.

I do not normally make New Year’s resolutions.  I have goals for the next year but I don’t formally announce them or write them down, probably because I don’t want to see what I planned to do and failed to do.  I have, however, made accidental resolutions.  What do I mean by this?  Well, you know, one day you are going along living your life and something happens to make you change or stop a habit, without planning or warning.  That is what I call an accidental resolution.

What brings me to the subject of resolutions on February 7th?  Well, I realized yesterday that it was the nine month anniversary of me quitting smoking.  In May I got sick with bronchitis and a chest x-ray showed something.  My doctor sent me for a cat scan and they decided that it was scar tissue that they saw on my lung.  You would think that would be enough for me to not smoke.  Well, no, I continued to smoke for two more days even though I was coughing like crazy.  Stupid, I know.  Finally, my boyfriend said to me “why are you forcing yourself to smoke?  You can barely breathe.”  And you know what? He was right.  And that was it.  My accidental resolution.  Believe me, I never really planned on quitting smoking.

I have had other accidental resolutions but I will write about them in future posts.  Have you had accidental resolutions?  Feel free to comment and let me know that I am not (or maybe I am) that weird.


Till we meet again…



Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment