Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

My Top Five Charities

This time of year is a time for giving.  I try to give all year long, but people are more generous at this time of year.  I have done some research and these are my top five worthy charities this year.  I have included links to their websites.  Please donate to one if you are able to.


St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital

I cannot imagine the range of emotions a parent goes through when learning their child has a catastrophic disease such as cancer.  This hospital not only treats the patient, but also treats the family.  I am sure you have already heard of St. Jude’s, they are highly advertised.  Do you know exactly what they do?  The following is their mission statement and a link to their website, where you can learn more and make a donation.

 

“The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.”


The Sato Project

I came across this charity completely by accident.  Have you ever heard of “Dead Dog Beach” in Puerto Rico?  Neither had I until I stumbled upon this organization.  The stories of the dogs that are abandoned on this beach and left to fend for themselves, have puppies, fight, or die are horrific.  This charity was founded by Chrissy Beckles, a champion amateur boxer who is literally fighting to save these pups.  Check out their website to make a donation or maybe even add a new member to your family.


Team Boom 4 Tripp

This story caught my eye on Facebook.  It is about a family who tried very hard to have a baby and finally did.  When that baby was about two years old he was at daycare playing on the playground when a huge limb fell out of a tree and hit him directly on the head crushing his skull.  This miraculous child has survived surgeries and is the light of his parent’s life.  The family uses 100% of donations towards Tripp’s care and so that his mom is able to stay home and care for him, they also sell items on their website and donate a percentage of their proceeds to other worthy charities.  Check it out.


Tie the Knot

Tietheknot.org is an organization dedicated to marriage equality.  This is a subject close to my heart; as it is to many in this country.  Tietheknot.org was created by Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Mitchell from Modern Family) and his husband Justin Mikita.  The site sells neckwear and donates the proceeds.  “Tie The Knot was founded to benefit foundations that support marriage equality. Every day, these organizations fight for millions of Americans right to be married


Toys for Tots

Ok so pretty much everyone on the planet has heard of Toys for Tots.  I have included this organization in my top five simply because it is an awesome organization and it is one of the easiest ones to donate to.  You either drop and unwrapped toy in the many donation boxes in stores and malls around the country, or you can visit their website to make a monetary donation.


Times are tough for many people out there.   If you can, please donate, it doesn’t have to be to one from my list and it doesn’t have to be a lot of money.  I find that donating and giving back makes my heart feel good.

I know there are many more charities out there.  Please feel free to add your personal favorites in the comment section.

Thank you.

Till we meet again…



Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment